Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain
At this time of year we think a lot about the spirit of the holidays. That spirit is embodied by the idea of peace on earth and good will toward others. But why are these two linked? It is my belief that the bible in Luke 2:7-14 does not link the concepts of world peace and goodwill toward others by accident.
Clearly, we know that when we practice kindness a.k.a goodwill toward others, that kindness often engenders a feeling of calm where there was chaos. Love where there might have been animosity. In other words, if we are kind (not a doormat, but kind) that kindness begets PEACE. Internally and Externally.
It is not always easy to be kind to someone...particularly if they are rude, nasty or have in some way hurt you. But Mummy has often found that if she acts with kindness toward someone who is outwardly undeserving of that kindness, there is a transformation of their attitude and behavior. And even if the recipient of that kindness is not changed, exhibiting kindness makes mummy feel happy and peaceful.
When faced with a choice of between behaving with kindness or otherwise, kindness is always the best choice.
Confucius Cat believes that we should practice kindness, not because others deserve it but because WE deserve the PEACE it will create within us and in our world.
“Kindness is free ... yet an invaluable gift.” - Confucius Cat
This week we purr for a spirit of kindness in each of us. We purr that everyone may exhibit goodwill toward men and animals. We purr for PEACE.
Week 29 of Purrs 4 Peace details are as follows:
- Week twenty-nine’s appointed time is Sunday, December 27, 2009.
- Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 3 p.m. EST (U.S.) which is 8:00 p.m. (20:00 hrs.) BST in the U.K.
- The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.
- Please post your cat name and the country you purr in at www.confuciuscat.blogspot.com as a COMMENT if you are participating in this historic project. (posting a link to your own website-if you have one-is encouraged.) Or let me know by message on twitter or facebook.
- Posting purrs on facebook ( Acolytes of Confucius Cat or as friend to Alley Mason) and twitter (@ConfuciusCat) is encouraged, since it inspires purring in others, but not required. On twitter please use #purrs4peace in your tweets.
Peace * Paix * Frieden * Vrede * Pace * Paz * Shalom * Salaam * Om Shanti * Heddwch * Síochán * 和平
Merry Christmas! Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward All!