Confucius Cat may tease about fighting with his canine housemate...but organized dogfighting for fun and profit for humans will not be tolerated.
Week 9 of Purrs 4 Peace is directed to ending dogfighting, cockfighting and other gambling activities where animals are pitted against one another. Dogfighting received some publicity with the arrest of NFL’s Michael Vick who was described as a heavyweight in that world and who had been under investigation for over three years. He reportedly even threw family pets into the ring with pit bulls and laughed as they were torn apart. He served 23 months of his sentence before release. Now he has been conditionally reinstated to the NFL as having paid for his crime. Paid for his crime? He didn’t sit in the cushy federal prison system half for even half the length of time that he was reportedly engaged in torturing animals. This guy hasn’t even done a media mea culpa tour.
Some would say that since he served his sentence, his livelihood should not be taken away. I say “ridiculous”. Lawyers who commit felonies are routinely disbarred and deprived of their future livelihood practicing law. A physician who did murder would no doubt lose his license to practice medicine. A bank employee has indicated that she was advised on hiring that any employee of the bank would be fired if convicted of a felony. Being a player in the NFL is a privilege and not a right. It elevates the person to status as role model. Is this a person that we want as a role model. NO!!!!!!!
As an aside I just want to say me and my family are boycotting the NFL and urge others to do so as well for as long as they condone this disgusting, vile, nasty, activity by having one of its participants in their profession.
What does all this say about our society? It says that we are much too willing to look the other way when animals are victims. Animals are people too! Get on board NFL or lose the animal loving part of your fan base.
How can we have world peace when such an activity continues and is even condoned?
- Week nine’s appointed time is Sunday, August 9, 2009.
- Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 6:00 p.m.. EDT (U.S.) which is 11:00 p.m. (23:00 hrs.) BST in the U.K.
- The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.
- Please post your cat name and the country you purr in at www.confuciuscat.blogspot.com as a COMMENT if you are participating in this historic project. (posting a link to your own website-if you have one-is encouraged.) Or let me know by message on twitter or facebook.
- Posting purrs on facebook and twitter is encouraged, since it inspires purring in others, but not required. On twitter please use #purrs4peace in your tweets.