Photo credit: Ryan Hagerty/US Fish and Wildlife Services
No one in the world needs a mink coat but a mink. ~Murray Banks
Fur farms around the world subject, raccoons, dogs, rabbits, foxes, mink and other animals to cruel lives spent in wire cages only to die of inhumane neck-breaking or electrocution. Some video from china shows animals, including dogs, being skinned alive.
Each year over 50 million animals each year are slaughtered for their fur…for the sake of some person somewhere to feel they “look” good. There can be nothing more infuriatingly narcissistic. Can you imagine believing that your appearance gives you the right to inflict unimaginable suffering on another being?
Buying fur and fur trimmed items also results in the killing of dogs and cats. Most dog and cat victims are killed in Asia and their fur exported worldwide. While the U.S. bans the sale of dog and cat fur, it still slips into this country on unlabled or falsely labled items.
However, many dogs and cats- along with wild animals- are killed accidentally in indiscriminately placed traps.
Again…as with many of the issues on which we have purred…the sources of this cruelty is ultimately greed. Therefore, we must appeal to that greed…if nothing else… and refuse to buy products from Asia, most critically those with fur or fur trim.
Week 31 of Purrs 4 Peace details are as follows:
• Week thirty-one’s appointed time is Sunday, January 10, 2010.
• Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 3 p.m. EST (U.S.) which is 8:00 p.m. (20:00 hrs.) GMT in the U.K.
• The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.
• Please post your cat name and the country you purr in at www.confuciuscat.blogspot.com as a COMMENT if you are participating in this historic project. (posting a link to your own website-if you have one-is encouraged.) Or let me know by message on twitter or facebook.
• Posting purrs on facebook ( Acolytes of Confucius Cat or as friend to Alley Mason) and twitter (@ConfuciusCat) is encouraged, since it inspires purring in others, but not required. On twitter please use #purrs4peace in your tweets.
This week we purr to end the slaughter. We purr for life happily and safely lived for all animals. We purr for the spread of compassion. We purr for the triumph of PEACE.