“Bullies are always cowards at heart and may be credited with a pretty safe instinct in scenting their prey.” - Anna Julia Cooper
Bullying behavior by children and teens has recently been on the increase. The online statistics on bullying and cyberbullying are diverse. But based it appears that generally one-third of children are bullied in school, in their neighborhood or online. The results of bullying are profound. It is estimated that at least 160,000 children do not attend school on any particular day due to fear of attack of bullying. Consequences can be even more extreme. We have probably all heard of the tragic results of such behavior in the case of Phoebe Prince and her suicide after vicious and unrelenting bullying by fellow school girls and boys.
“Courage is fire, and bullying is smoke” - Benjamin Disraeli
What can we do?
- Stand up to bullies in our own lives.
- Teach our children to stand up to bullies.
- Insist that authorities deal effectively with bullies in school environments.
- Insist that authorities deal with cyberbullying by all available prosecutions and that new laws to deal with new technological opportunities for bullying be addressed.
- Do not tolerate bullying of others when you witness or know about it.
* And.................this week we will purr.
Week 45 of Purrs 4 Peace details are as follows:
- Week forty-five’s appointed time is Sunday, April 25, 2010.
- Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 3 p.m. Eastern (U.S.) which is 8:00 p.m. (20:00 hrs.) in the U.K.
- The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.
- Please post your cat name and the country you purr in at www.confuciuscat.blogspot.com as a COMMENT if you are participating in this historic project. (posting a link to your own website-if you have one-is encouraged.) Or let me know by message on twitter or facebook.
- Posting purrs on facebook ( Acolytes of Confucius Cat or as friend to Alley Mason) and twitter (@ConfuciusCat) is encouraged, since it inspires purring in others, but not required. On twitter please use #purrs4peace in your tweets.
Peace * Paix * Frieden * Vrede * Pace * Paz * Shalom * Fred * Salaam * Om Shanti * Heddwch * Siochan
It's ashame that people are SO uncomfortable with themselves that they feel the need to degrade others. I, as a mother, WILL NOT stand for that in my daughter's life. I feel bad for the person/people who decided if they want to bully her. Man, are THEY in for a RUDE awakening!
Great info on bullying. It's becoming a huge problem in schools.
We will be there with purrs on!
Post a Comment