If our American way of life fails the child, it fails us all. ~Pearl S. Buck
Purrs 4 Peace was begun 14 weeks ago with a dream.... a dream that the calmness and inner peace that is inspired in human beings by the purring of cats could translate itself into outer peace. Peace in the world at large.
For this world to be at peace, the future of the human race, i.e., its children, must be safe and healthy. A major threat to the safety and welfare of this world’s children are sexual predators.
According to reports, there are approximately 674,000 convicted sex offenders in the United States. Frighteningly, an estimated 100,000 of those convicted have failed to register with local authorities as required. Police efforts to keep track of these dangerous predators living in our communities have been thwarted by the sheer numbers. This is particularly worrisome given that Department of Justice statistics show that sex offenders are four times as likely to be arrested for another sex crime after release from prison than other offenders.
The tragic reality of these statistics was illustrated recently in the arrest of a convicted sex offender Phillip Garrido He is accused of kidnapping Jaycee Lee Dugard when she was eleven years of age and holding her for eighteen years, during which time she was reportedly sexually molested. And with the discovery of human bones on Garrido’s property, it seems likely that more victims of this predator will be discovered. Garrido was at large despite the fact that his prior conviction should have kept him in prison for life and a conclusion by the parole board that he was rehabilitated.
Confucius Cat believes that offenders who prey on children are but another example of the narcissism which has reached epidemic proportions at this time on earth. These predators place importance only upon themselves, their own feelings and their prurient desires. They do not have empathy or compassion for those they victimize. They are blinded by their own narcissism.
This week we purr to put a stop to predators. This week we purr to protect the children. This week we purr for peace.
Week 14 details are as follows:
- Week fourteen’s appointed time is Sunday, September 13, 2009.
- Participants should purr for three minutes commencing at 3 p.m. EDT (U.S.) which is 8:00 p.m. (20:00 hrs.) BST in the U.K.
- The cat’s human staff should assist their cats with the project by stroking and nuzzling the cat at the appointed time.
- Please post your cat name and the country you purr in at www.confuciuscat.blogspot.com as a COMMENT if you are participating in this historic project. (posting a link to your own website-if you have one-is encouraged.) Or let me know by message on twitter or facebook.
- Posting purrs on facebook ( Acolytes of Confucius Cat or as friend to Alley Mason) and twitter (@ConfuciusCat) is encouraged, since it inspires purring in others, but not required. On twitter please use #purrs4peace in your tweets.